John James Sainsbury and his wife Mary Ann founded Sainsbury’s in 1869 and until the mid 1990’s it was Britain’s largest grocery retailer. However, in 1995 it was knocked off the top spot by Tesco and eight years later, in 2003, pushed into third place by Asda. Currently, the No-Frills supermarkets are expanding so fast that that third spot could be under threat in next few years.
Not that it is all doom and gloom for this predominantly middle class supermarket with its 500 plus UK stores. It still has a turnover of just under £20 billion and profits of around £480 million. Figures most retailers would give their right arm for!
Click for Sainsbury's website's recipes.
Sign up for the Latest Trolley Tips Newsletter Today
Click the Go button to view all Sainsbury’s products in our database:
Click the Sainsbury's button for today's best deals:
The advantages for Sainsbury’s shoppers:
- Shoppers can purchase a 'fits all' (Aldi to Waitrose) trolley coin for £1 at Sainsburys customer service desk.
- Sainsbury's stores give loyalty points for using your own bags.
- Sainsbury’s customer service desk provide in-store nutrition and dietary advice.
- www.sainsburys.co.uk provide an online nutrition advice service: click here
- Sainsbury’s prices may change daily to keep them in line with their competitors.
- Sainsbury’s Own Branded products display easy to read nutritional and allergen labels.
- Sainsbury’s accepts: cash, debit cards, credit cards.
- They have ever growing range of Organic and Fairtrade products.
- They have an ever expanding range of Free From products.
- Sainsbury’s customer helpline: 0800 636 262 is quick and very helpful.
- They have online shopping at www.sainsburys.co.uk.
Disadvantages for Sainsbury’s shoppers:
- Online shoppers pay their delivery day’s store price – this could be more or less than the website price.
- Prices can alter daily and vary from store to store (prices on this site are the guideline ones that are on www.sainsburys.co.uk)
For your nearest Sainsbury’s store & opening times: click here.
Head Office Address:
Sainsbury’s Supermarket Ltd
Customer Service Line:
0800 636 262