William Morrison, an egg and butter merchant, started Morrisons in 1899 from a stall in Bradford market and 1999, hundred years later, it had 100 stores. In March 2004 Morrisons took over Safeway and it became UK’s fourth largest supermarket. Today it has 375 stores, 9 million customers each week and 117,000 employees.
However, the marrying of Morrisons and Safeway, two very different supermarkets, has required considerable patience and it is only recently that Morrisons has started to move forward again. The 2008 half yearly results reveal that turnover (£7.1 billion) and profit before tax (£309 million) is up around 13%, nothing like the figures from Tesco, but it looks like Morrisons is now on the up!
Click for Morrisons' website's recipes.
Sign up for the Latest Trolley Tips Newsletter Today
Click the Go button to view all Morrisons products in our database:
Click the Morrisons button for today's best deals at your local store:
The advantages for Morrisons shoppers:
- Shoppers can purchase a 'fits all' (Aldi to Waitrose) trolley coin for £1 at Morrisons' customer service desk.
- Morrisons.co.uk provide an online nutrition advice service: click here
- Morrisons’ prices may change daily to keep them in line with their competitors.
- Morrisons’ Own Branded products display easy to read nutritional and allergen labels.
- Morrisons’ accepts: cash, debit cards and credit cards.
- They have ever growing range of Organic and Fairtrade products.
- They have an ever expanding range of Free From products.
Disadvantages for Morrisons shoppers:
- Prices can alter daily and vary from store to store (prices on this site are the ones provided by Morrisons or the local store price.
- No online shopping at www.morrisons.co.uk
- Morrisons’ customer helpline: 0845 611 6111 is helpful and efficient, but I had to wait 5 minutes for customer service advisor to answer the call.
- The majority of stores charge £1 (returnable) for trolleys.
For your nearest Morrisons store & opening times: click here.
Head Office Address:
Customer Service Department
Wm Morrison Supermarket PLC
Customer Service Line:
0845 611 6111